Thursday, July 17, 2014

Trees

HoneyCrisp Apple (L),  CrestHaven Peach (R), Fuji (C)

I wanted some fruit bearing trees to add to my self-sufficient yard, so off to the local nursery, or two for us.  I picked out a semi-dwarf HoneyCrisp Apple and a dwarf CrestHaven Peach.  Once I got home a did a little more reading on trees, I found I needed another apple tree, of a different variety.  I wanted a Fuji since the kids and I love the sweet, crisp, juicy apple. (This is where the second nursery came into play).  Off to the second nursery and found a semi-dwarf Red Fuji and a Hardy Giant Pecan.  I love walnuts more but I know I use pecans more frequently in my cooking and they are far more expensive than walnuts.
I mentioned before that there are some items in the yard that don't fall into to my plan for everything to have a purpose.  For instance, the two trees that are in the background in the picture of the front yard will go.  They were planted a few years back, with the intent of adding something to that side of the house.  They were planted too close to the house and now I don't like them.  They will go, at some point.  
We also planted a non-fruit bearing tree about seven or eight years ago, and a Weeping Cheery back when I did NOT want fruit falling to the ground.  I'm torn about these trees.  They are taking up valuable real-estate but I love them.  They have beautiful bloom and adds to our curb appeal but..... if I were planting them now, they would definitely be fruit bearing trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment